Monday, March 9, 2009

Daria Nicolodi Appreciation Post



Seriously, have you ever seen a more major babe than Daria Nicolodi? I sure as hell haven't. In her day I would have to count her among the most beautiful women I've ever seen. Sadly, she hasn't aged as well as one might hope, and while not quite 60, she certainly looks a bit older. Ever seen "The Third Mother"? What she saw in a gremlin like Argento is beyond me. Well, you know, besides his incredible artistic sense and absolute genius that is...

I chose two images from Bava's final film "Shock" to display her beauty. I really don't think she's ever looked better on screen than in that movie.



Her magnificent appearance aside, she was a pretty damn decent actress and was also co-writer on "Suspiria", which gives her a lot of credibility in my book. Even if Argento's movies don't always have the most coherent storylines, those storylines are usually what allow him to present us with the amazing setpieces, atmospherics and brilliant music he uses. Regardless of how much sense the stories make, they sure turn out to be incredible films in the end. If Nicolodi had something to do with what is in my opinion Argento's most visually accomplished film, she gets a thumbs up from me.

Note: While I consider "Suspiria" the most visually stunning of all Argento's films (meaning that it certainly leaves the most lasting impression) I don't think I'd go so far as to call it my absolute favorite. Though I don't think I could pick a personal favorite at all, as he is probably my favorite director. If you have one, what is your favorite Argento film and why? I'd like to know.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing interviews with her today, you can really see Asia in her features. Lucky she took after her mother instead of her father!

    Daria is great in that she has a very distinctive look; she's not absolutely beautiful like Sophia Loren, Barbara Steele, or Soledad Miranda, rather her slight flaws make her beautiful.

    I REALLY like her in Tenebre; the screaming finale is classic...

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
21st century rocker with a multi-track mind.

Followers

tear off your face(book)