Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An exercise in depravity

I'm still stalling on my monumental Monster Mania recap. Primarily because I have to get ready for work in a little while and I don't want to finally get rolling on a long entry and have to stop.

I will however like to post a quick entry about a film I finally got around to seeing last night...

Nekromantik

Nekromantik.

Have any of you seen this one? It raises some interesting taboos, but I found it was most effective as a test of how far I've desensitized myself. Funny enough, there's a scene where our main character (our hero?) watches a TV show where a psychiatrist talks about exposure to our phobias in order to desensitize ourselves and better deal with them. Of course while he's watching this his girlfriend is in the bathroom bathing in blood laden water.

I don't want to go into it, but this film is gross. I found one scene particularly gruesome and honestly, I was glad for it. There isn't much out there that I haven't seen that can make me feel a little uneasy. Nekromantik delivers. That's saying a lot. I think part of it is the at times documentary style cinematography. It feels very raw, though the gore effects are quite realistic. The music is also very effective at making you feel uneasy, mostly because a lot of it is so damn cheerful. I heard this was the directors intention.

Some really weird shit comes out of Germany. I definitely wouldn't say I liked this film, but it sure did succeed on one level, weirding me out. That's becoming a harder feat everyday, and I'm sure Nekromantik will help contribute to this.

This is some seriously sick stuff. If there's one thing I've learned though, it's that creating or watching gory, shocking, and offensive cinema does not mean that one harbors homicidal fantasies. Far from it. I can't pinpoint why I like it so much myself. I don't wish for violence upon anyone. However, watching these scenarios on film and seeing how fictional characters get out of them (or how they don't) is fascinating. The idea that there are still some films out there (like this one) that can still get under my skin is proof that there's still effective terror cinema left for me to check out. I just really doubt I'll be screening this one again anytime soon.

On an interesting side note, there is a scene in the film where the main character, Rob, goes to the cinema to watch a violent horror movie. The movie (with scenes filmed specifically for this movie) features sound effects, music and screams from various horror films. The first music I noticed came from The Burning, next I heard screams from The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, followed by music and screaming from Night of the Living Dead.




1 comment:

  1. "If there's one thing I've learned though, it's that creating or watching gory, shocking, and offensive cinema does not mean that one harbors homicidal fantasies. Far from it."

    Maybe for you, John, but I do harbor homicidal fantasies. Just none about you. Will you still be in my band?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
21st century rocker with a multi-track mind.

Followers

tear off your face(book)